Xbox360 yes/no?

Since we announced Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath for the PS3 we’ve been getting a fair bit of stick along the lines of “Why are you not doing 360″, “Why are you only PS3 Exclusive”, “Please don’t be dicks, support 360″.

So what’s the story, whilst I can’t go into complete detail on this, I can tell you that we are NOT PS3 Exclusive. As far as we are concerned we are a multi-platform company, supporting the big 3, PC/PS3 & 360.

Now with regard to Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath on the 360 there are a number of factors that are currently sitting in our way to announce a 360 version of the title, whilst we can’t go into all the details, what I can say is we are working with Microsoft to get the title on that platform, however the final decision is NOT ours.

One thing we can discuss in regard to the 360 version is the size of the game. On XBLA there is a 2GigaByte size limit we have to adhere to, currently the title weighs in at 2.1GB and that is without any updates, so either we have to pull a miracle out of the bag with some type of amazing compression system, or ask Microsoft to increase their 2GB limit, however this limit is apparently hardware led, so please let us try and make a miracle happen.

Comments

comments

Tags: , , , , ,

36 Responses to “Xbox360 yes/no?”

1. promethius30 27 September 2010 at 9:21 pm //

It’s a hard question while, financially it makes a lot of sense you need to sell as many copies as possible to keep going. Although i feel it would be wrong to make a worse game just to do so. Hope you can persuade them to increase there limits, it does not make much sense for them not too so. I have a ps3 so it won’t matter to me, really can’t wait for the game.

Keep up the good work. Glad to see another Yorkshire game Developer, especially a West Yorkshire one.

2. Rolen47 28 September 2010 at 11:00 pm //

Can’t you guys re-encode the audio or video cutscenes at a slightly lower quality?

3. Christian 29 September 2010 at 6:11 pm //

I’m glad i bought a ps3! :D

4. flightsaber 22 November 2010 at 12:56 am //

Too bad about the xbox version…Are you still planning on releasing a pc version through Steam?

There’s still interest in the oddbox:

5. o0MrCheesy0o 29 November 2010 at 12:10 pm //

I really hope you guys manage to pull of a miracle, or at least get Microsoft to change their ways. Really want to play this yet I don’t have a PS3 or a gaming capable PC (if it’s coming to PC. Oddbox? IDK). Also would love to support you guys. Can’t wait for the next instalment in the Oddworld universe. I just hope you guys don’t drop the ball :P

• admin 1 December 2010 at 8:47 am //

We are just finishing up on the PC version of Stranger’s Wrath. The PC version is a port of the original XBox version with a few updates and alterations, and runs very well on a 4 year old Laptop, so you might be surprised.

6. emily 6 December 2010 at 4:56 pm //

No doubt Microsoft is willing to give you guys a pass rather than give the PS3 an exclusive title, especially one that used to be an Xbox exclusive. I’m pretty sure they let a few other games slide past their restrictions back when their restrictions were even stricter – Castlevania comes to mind.

Even if their not willing to let it slide, a compressed version would be better than nothing – if Ubisoft can squeeze Beyond Good and Evil in under 2 gigs, it can’t be much more difficult for Strangers Wrath, can it?

Surely there’s plenty of clever ways to do it. Have you thought about splitting up the assets, kind of like Pinball FX 2? Maybe the game and the audio can come separately – the game would come with just the audio that would be required for the trial version, then you can download a free DLC pack with the rest of the audio on it when you want to play the full version. I’m pretty sure a lot of larger apps for iPhone/Android do something similar.

Either way, best of luck. I hope you guys can land on the 360 but at least there will be a PC version to look forward to if that doesn’t work out.

• gizmo1991 23 July 2011 at 5:39 pm //

oddworld abe series whas never exlcusive to the xbox 360 then only strangers wrath and munchs oddysee.
      rest of oddworld series where elxcusive to the ps 1
      so ditch ur xbox.. if u dont even know that oddworld whas only exclusive to the ps 1 first till the xbox came stealing everything

7. rjd007 12 December 2010 at 2:37 pm //

its coming to the ps3 1st then xbox when they can work around the 2gb limit so stop moaning xbox users u already had this game on xbox so its the ps3′s turn so ul just have to wait and stop moaning u bunch of babys or else

8. hiabowman 13 February 2011 at 7:46 pm //

Doesn’t Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light breach the 2GB limit though?

• admin 18 February 2011 at 11:58 am //

Nope.

• admin 24 February 2011 at 12:16 pm //

Nope, it’s 1.3GB

• hiabowman 26 February 2011 at 11:02 pm //

It says 2.02GB on XBOX.com and XBLA http://bit.ly/hgebso Command and Conquer sits at 2.10GB too http://bit.ly/ekmjun
        Surely that means they break the limit, sure just by a little, but they still break it.

• admin 1 March 2011 at 12:01 pm //

Ah no, 2GB is actually 2048, so that’s JUST inside.

9. Skillz123 30 March 2011 at 7:15 pm //

Hopefully you guys can put It on xbox as I really love the oddworld, I like online play with other games but I they fail with offline play and I really want an offline game that I can play over and over again cause thats how good the other Oddworld games were and I don’t have a PS3 and have been looking forward to a new oddworld game for years. Not to mention that oddworld games will be such a great addition to the xbox like strangers wrath and Munch’s oddysee.

10. Terrin 28 April 2011 at 3:27 pm //

For the 360 issue couldn’t you release it as games on demand game which can go well and above the 2 gb size restriction.

As this is what capcom is doing for re-releasing the hd remakes of code veronica x and resident evil 4 due to the size restrictions?

• admin 5 May 2011 at 3:08 pm //

We could do, however. Microsoft require us to publish on Disc first. We don’t want to do that.

11. Terrin 6 May 2011 at 9:56 pm //

K was wondering as code Veronica x and Resdient evil 4 was never released on disc verison for the 360 and that’s the release plan for them as per capcom

12. emily 8 May 2011 at 4:15 pm //

How many great games is Microsoft willing to pass on before they change their backwardsass policies? A change is necessary here if they want to remain the dominant DD platform but they should at least make an exception for you guys – for one they failed to make the Xbox original backwards compatible and here you guys are willing to make up for that, plus the fact that the original WAS A DISK RELEASE, not to mention that this is a series that Microsoft has had first-hand experience with as a publisher but I guess they don’t care about destroying those bridges.

I hope you guys can find a loophole but at this point I’m seriously considering a PS3 purchase because I just can’t believe how low MS has fallen since Peter Moore left, they’re their own greatest enemy, not Sony or Nintendo

13. bibiboss 25 June 2011 at 3:48 pm //

Hi guys!

I would love to re play this fantanstic game on the xbox 360, too bad that there is a size limit.

Why not release the game with a size of 2gb but not complete, and after release an update that will complete the game (for example, an update that add the last level).

Don’t know if it’s a good idea, but maybe it is so I let you know my idea, and I hope oddworld Stranger’s Wrath will arrive on xbox 360 soon :)

And keep up the good work guys!

• emily 27 June 2011 at 4:40 pm //

Microsoft has regulations when it comes to updates but maybe they can work something out

Best thing I can think of would be to use the Pinball FX2 model I mentioned above. You make the empty launcher a free XBLA game and you split the actual game up into “chapters” that you sell for 160 ms points each. The launcher would contain assets that are shared by each chapter while the chapters would contain individual assets like voice acting and cut-scenes. Only downside compared to PInball FX-2 would be that you wouldn’t be able to pick and choose what chapters you want so if you buy them out of order then the user wouldn’t be able to access content they purchased until they buy the chapters before it and progress to that point in the game so it’s probably a confusing model for this type of game but still better than nothing and Fable II has actually done something similar (but on GoD I think) so it’s not unheard of

Only other thing I can think of would be to partner with a publisher and get it released on retail. Sometimes Ubisoft gets involved in these kinds of projects but there’s also smaller publishers like Ignition and Atlus and Valcon Games and UFO Interactive – no doubt either of them would be happy to work on a project like this because they’ve all worked on much smaller, more obscure stuff

14. flyyoufools88 28 August 2011 at 5:51 pm //

Had this game on the day of release. Was a big fan. Loved this game to bits. Will be gutted if it does not come out on 360. I would pay full retail for this game :( Please please please microsoft – stop being idiots :(

15. Terrin 4 October 2011 at 1:50 pm //

another game released today that is on games on demand but isn’t on a disc anywhere in stores is crysis 1 so just throwing it out there seems games on demand you dont need to have a retail disc anymore :S

16. thundermypup 14 December 2011 at 11:47 am //

People, read my story first :)
    I’m brazilian and my main childhood activities besides kite flyin’ were playin’ video games; yep it’s sad, I know. The oddworld series played a major role during my teen years and these games were by far one the best series ever made. Everything was so cool and dandy back then.
    I’ve played Abe’s first two stories and had a lotta fun back in the day; then -MY GOSH- I found out about a 3D game called Munch’s Oddysee! I was alarmed and had to play this, but at the time an xbox costed like 1000 usd here, so no deal at all, just couldn’t play it. I remember this being sold in a big supermarket ’round here for like almost 200usd. Yep.

Finally after several years (I got more money and my lovely wife even gave me an xbox 360 lol) I could play the oddboxx on pc, revive the first 2 wonderful games and play flawlessly the third one until the end… and man, what an amazing port! Congrats, guys!
    But Stranger’s Wrath, the fourth installment was there also and I didn’t know about this game until the oddboxx release, but my pc can’t hang such high requirements and the game ran like crap. Now that I also know *why?*) that this game isn’t backwards compatible and there’s nothing I can do.
    Sad, huh? So please bypass the 2gb size limit (easy to say, right?) and port this game or at least try to release it as an xbox original!

Thanks for everything, guys, you rock.

17. bibiboss 12 September 2012 at 12:43 pm //

Hi,

looks like 2gb xbla limit has been removed
    both games released today are over:

Maybe a good news for Stranger’s Wrath?

Thanks.

• Daniel 12 September 2012 at 12:54 pm //

Thanks for this. Unfortunately, the size is no longer the barrier to getting on XLA as there are other red tape issues from the Microsoft team.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. JAW: Stranger’s Wrath 360 is ‘not our decision’ — Scrawl - 28 September 2010

[...] currently sitting in our way to announce a 360 version of the title,” Just Add Water wrote on their blog, “whilst we can’t go into all the details, what I can say is we are working with Microsoft [...]

2. Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath for Xbox 360 Held Up By Size Restriction « Modern Games - 29 September 2010

[...] a post on the developer’s blog, they argued that they (as a company) are “NOT PS3 [...]

3. inside-360.de | News & Specials zur Xbox 360 » Blog Archive » Oddworld – Remake zu groß für XBLA? - 29 September 2010

[...] nicht auch auf Xbox Live Arcade erscheint. Die Antwort liefert nun der Entwickler Just Add Water im firmeneigenen Blog: Das Spiel ist schlicht zu [...]

4. Boss Final - Le portail Jeux Vidéo » Blog Archive » Oddworld : La Fureur de l’Étranger peut-être sur Xbox 360 - 29 September 2010

[...] studio Just Add Water, qui se charge de ce remake, vient pourtant d’expliquer sur son site officiel qu’il y a toujours un espoir pour les joueurs sur la console de Microsoft de pouvoir [...]

5. Nieuws: Stranger’s Wrath-remake voorlopig alleen op PS3 (PSS) | Consolegame.nl - 29 September 2010

[...] Insidegamer.nl on September 29, 2010 Just Add Water heeft op de officiele blog aangegeven dat de remake van Oddworld… Lees het volledige [...]

6. From 3DS Release Blowout to Guybrush Starkiller – News Roundup 29th September 2010 | Dealspwn - 29 September 2010

[...] delighted that British-based Just Add Water is taking charge of the Oddworld franchise, though the decision to bring the revamped [...]

7. All news » Blog Archive » Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath could be headed to XBLA, size matters - 29 September 2010

[...] a blog post on their website, Just Add Water briefly states that they are not a PS3 exclusive, going so far as [...]

8. El nuevo Oddworld podría ser multi plataforma : Ps3p: Novedades y análisis de juegos PS3 y juegos PSP - 29 September 2010

[...] “Desde que hemos anunciado Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath para Playstation 3 hemos recibido muchas peticiones para llevarlo también a Xbox360” he declarado Just Add Water en su web oficial. [...]

9. Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath Possible For the 360? « It Came From the Couch! - 29 September 2010

[...] Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath Possible For the 360? Since Just Add Water (Developments) Ltd announced Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath for the PS3 they have been getting a lot of flak along the lines of “Why are you not doing 360? Why are you only PS3-exclusive? Please don’t be dicks, support 360!″ J.A.W. Ltd can’t go into detail on this but they did say they are NOT PS3-exclusive. As far as they are concerned they are a multi-platform company supporting the big 3, PC/PS3 & 360. Now, with regard to Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath on the 360, there are a number of factors sitting in their way to announcing a 360 version of the title. They are working with Microsoft to get the title on that platform, however, the final decision is NOT theirs. One thing they were able to tell us is the size of the game. On XBLA there is a 2GB size limit. Currently Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath is 2.1GB, and that is without any updates. They have to find a way to compress the game or ask Microsoft to increase their 2GB limit. They were told the limit is due to hardware so it’s highly unlikely that Microsoft will be increasing the limit. Let’s hope J.A.W. Ltd can make some sort of miracle happen with the compression so we can see this title on the 360. Source [...]

10. VG247 » Blog Archive » Stranger’s Wrath is coming to PSN only for now, says JAW - 28 November 2010

[...] to the blog post, there’s a number of reasons why the game hasn’t been announced for Xbox Live just [...]